Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Are you a New Englander?

I have always thought of myself as a New Englander.  I cannot claim ancestry back to the early days when it was a collection of colonies, but I still like to think that being born here has given me the right to make a claim.  However, I understand that a lot of people would disagree with this, so I have come up with a list of qualifications for the classic New Englander.  Feel free to disagree with any of these or add to the list if you wish!

You know you're a New Englander when:

1.  You live in or are very close to a white house with black shutters.

2.  Your front door is merely a decorative entrance and while the inside of it could be used for pictures, the outside is usually not used at all and may not even have the stairs necessary to reach it.

3.  You have severe personal space issues and can feel boxed in if someone sits too close to you (too close being within 10 feet).  This is especially noticeable at church where before the service begins, you like a perimeter of empty seats on every side and feel threatened if someone sits in your pew (there's empty space two pews down, why don't they sit there?).

4.  You spend the second half of winter complaining about the cold, snow, and ice on the roads, forgetting that summer was just sooo hot and spring will be full of rain.  Any change in the weather is heralded with delight until you remember just how lovely the last season was.  You can't believe that anyone could want to go back to the season you just finished, but surely there was something nice about it?

5.  You actually classify your regions weather as having four seasons.  Summer, winter, mud, and construction.

6.  You know how to navigate a double laned traffic circle.

7.  Ice cream can be eaten any time of year, but the day the local ice cream stand opens, even if it is cold, raining, and/or snowing, you'll be there.  The parking lot will be so full that you can't find a space and everyone will be standing around complaining about the cold weather while eating their ice cream.


So that's what I've got so far.  I'm sure there are more out there, but can I just say that I love this area and all the quirks associated with it!  Looking forward to sharing more of my ramblings but be warned about this journey, it's bound to be a very strange trip!

2 comments: